Today’s project is a double ring tulle canopy for over a bed. You can simplify the directions by adding only one ring or personalise your canopy by adding trim or other embellishments.
- 2-Two foot metal rings
- 1-Two foot piece of ribbon
- 2-Seven foot pieces of ribbon about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Netting-18 yards for an 8 foot ceiling
- Needle and thread
- Sewing machine
- Tape measure
- 1-Safety pin
- Measure eight feet from the salvage end and mark or pin.
- From the mark, measure the next eight feet and mark or pin.
- Repeat until you have measured eight feet lengths six times.
- Cut apart each of the eight foot lengths.
Sewing the Panel Together
- Take two of the eight foot panels and lay them one on top of the other.
- Sew down one side with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
- Repeat until all of the panels are stitched together side by side.
- Fold one of the salvage ends of the whole piece in six inches and pin.
- Fold the salvage end in again two inches to create a hem. (See figure 1)
- Sew the hem in place all the way across.
- Hem the upper salvage end by folding over the fabric three inches and fold the top of the three inches in about 1/2 to 1 inch. Sew into place.
Prepping for the Rings
- Measure down one foot from the top hem and pin every foot across the fabric.
- Measure down two feet from the top hem and pin every foot across the fabric.
- Sew a gathered stitch across each of the lines you created at the one foot and two foot measures.
- The circumference of a two foot ring is 75.39 inches. Cut two pieces of ribbon 76 inches each.
- Pin the one piece of ribbon to the tulle along the one foot gathered line. To do this pin the ribbon at one end of the tulle and overlapping one inch on the other end of the tulle. Find the center of the tulle and pin to the center of the ribbon. Find the center of the tulle between pins and pin to the center of the ribbon. Gather the fabric up where needed to fit. Sew The upper side of the ribbon to the tulle along gathered line using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Repeat with two foot gathered line.
Adding the Rings
- Tuck the one ring under the ribbon and tack the bottom of the ribbon in place.
- Repeat for second ring.
- At the opening pull the fabric together so that the one inch over hang of ribbon lays onto the ribbon on the opposite end of the fabric and tack.
- Attach the safety pin to one end of the two foot length of ribbon.
- Push the safety pin through the small upper hem until you come out the other side.
- Gather the fabric tight on the ribbon and tie into a knot.
- Knot the ends of the ribbon together.
- Securely attach a hook to the ceiling and hook the ribbon onto the hook so that the opening is facing outward.